October 16, 2010

This handsome fellow is in the hospital
(The big guy, not the little guy)

I don't have a lot of time, and I'm exhausted, but I just wanted to put on here a little update.

Chris has been admitted to Castle Medical Center in Kailua, Hi.  (text me and I can give you a room number, but really he just needs to sleep as much as he can... he can barely talk or move his head)

Two nights ago we went to Kahuku ER cause he was having pain in his back and chest and had just started some meds this week.  It got back enough to go check it out.  
While he was there he spiked a fever and got in increasingly bad headache.  They sent him home a few hours later, saying it was probably the flu, since all the kids had had it this last week (ya i know, barf, fevers and lots of poo = super fun :) 
So through the night with a handful of vicodin, this headache got worse, surpassed it looking like a migraine headache...  he couldn't move, barely speak, was hot and cold, would take the meds, then barf up the meds.  ...
Anyway, this brings us back to Friday,  he was still feeling junk so he finally said we should take him back in.  This time they ran a line, gave fluids, pain meds, anti-nauseas, after which he would barf...  did more labs, and finally, after about 9 hours there, a Dr. did the lumbar puncture to get CSF to run to test for the meningitis, which we thought it was all a long.  They finally did it and in the middle of the night after getting results, transfered him to Castle, a full medical facility an hour away.

Since he's been there, we have all been here.  The Dr said they are 99% sure it is viral spinal meningitis because the white blood cell count in the CSF is low.  However, since he just finished a Z-pak and had some IV antibiotics, they are still cautious about the possibility of it being bacterial.

Symptoms of meningitis

1.  Severe headache - like not classified as a head ache cause it hurts so extremely bad...  in Chris's words, "My eyes are going to explode out of my head"   - a lot of pressure, a lot of pain.  90% of adult meningitis cases present with severe headache
2.  Stiff neck..  usually you cannot place your chin to your chest. - Chris could not at all
about 80% of people present with stiff neck, clinically called nuchal rigidity
3.  Other common :  Altered mental status (which is the least rare), spike in fever, sensitivity to sound, light, etc. 

All of these present in less than 50% of cases of meningitis.

Spread of Viral Meningitis

The most common viral meningitis is from an enterovirus, like a stomach bug, or flu bug, which we have had.  You can spread this from fecal matter (anything coming from your entero - tummy - insides)  so wash your hands.

Other bacterial kinds of meningitis are far more spreadable, and far more dangerous as far as infection goes.  These kinds of bacteria can be spread through touch, and through the air.  

For viral they will mainly treat for the pain, for bacterial they have to actively fight the bacteria to prevent swelling and damage to your brain or spinal column

Anyway, just some info that I have looked at.  

Chris is doing well.  His pain is under control for now.  They are watching him closely.  You can't see him w/o a mask so I know they are being extra cautious.  
He got to ride in a ambulance, although he really wanted a helicopter ride.  :)

That's the update, and thank you to everyone who has helped out to come to my house and watch my kids, and cleaned my house, and just even come by and talk to me and offered your help :)  
I'm grabbing a nap right now while Kai sleeps, and the girls run a muck outside with the neighborhood kids, and then we are going to try and disinfect this little apartment, then go visit Chris...  I'll post again if there is any new news.  But for now, they have told us he will be there at least for another day or so.



8 comments:

Susan said...

Oh my goodness leisa! I'm glad he's doing okay, that is so scary!! Hope he gets better soon! Hang in there and please let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Carrie said...

Get well soon Chris :( It sounds like his in good hands. I hope the rest of your fam. can stay healthy.

Kim's just sayin' said...

Oh my goodness! you must be so stressed out. Please tell me how I can help! Need dinner or to watch your kids for a break or anything. I want to help so just tell me what will be the most helpful!

Praying for your hubby and your sweet family!

The Tafuna Family said...

chris you big baby, harden up!
lol
kidding
that sucks lisa, for you mostly. its bad enough having sick kids, but having a sick husband means no help PLUS another person to look after.
Hope he recovers quickly.

oxo

Pike's Place said...

I feel so bad! I had no idea...i am glad to hear he is doing ok. Why is everyone getting meningitis? scary stuff. PLEASE PLEASE let me know if there is anything i can to do help.

Eric and Sarah said...

Poor Chris! Sorry to hear this. I hope he...and everyone else...are better soon!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodenss Leisa! How scary! Hope he gets to feeling better soon!

(((((((sending hugs your way)))))))

Gina said...

Yikes! And you're going to school during all of this?!

How are you surviving?

I hope he's better soon. Doesn't he know he's not allowed to get sick?